Manager, Customer Support
New York, NY
The mission of The New York Times is to seek the truth and help people understand the world. That means independent journalism is at the heart of all we do as a company. It’s why we have a newsroom that’s 1,700 strong and sends journalists to report on the ground from nearly 160 countries. It’s why we focus deeply on how our readers will experience our journalism, from print to audio to a world-class digital and app destination. And it’s why our business strategy centers on making journalism so good that it’s worth paying for.
Note for US based roles: Any offer of employment is contingent on providing proof of Covid-19 vaccination prior to your start date, subject to approved medical and/or religious exemptions, in accordance with applicable law.
This is a vital moment in the life of The New York Times. We have declared ourselves a subscription-first company staking our future on producing journalism worth paying for and developing deeper relationships with our subscribers. Customer Care is an important part of this mission and we’re only as strong as the people and processes behind our work.
We are looking for an experienced customer support leader with the self-direction, vision and ability to manage our internal support team of highly trained agents as they handle some of our most complex customer complaints. In this role, we will lean on your extensive operational experience to evaluate and redefine what exceptional high-touch Care looks like at The Times. You have a mindset that challenges traditional thinking and the people-forward philosophy to invest in and cultivate an amazing team. You will build strong relationships with partners inside and outside the broader Care team and help surface opportunities to improve the customer experience.
You will report to the Director of Care Operations working on a diverse team with a customer-focused mission.
- 3-5 years experience of managing a operational customer service team, ideally with a focus on high-touch support, account management or escalations
- You are an expert operator. You’re super organized, know how to prioritize competing tasks and keep focused on the most important and impactful work at all times
- You are passionate about your team’s development and career progression. You take time to develop your team’s skills and create stepping stones that will provide opportunities for growth
- You are data-driven and understand the main drivers and indicators of quality customer service. You rely on data to make sound business decisions
- You have mastered the art of customer satisfaction. You know the right on-brand words, tone, tactics and experience engineering tools to use to de-escalate tough situations and provide effortless support
- You build and maintain a strong culture within your team. You foster a spirit of teamwork and unity amongst team members that allows them to take risks, learn from mistakes, and work together allowing the team to grow
- You are comfortable giving frequent performance and development feedback that provides context and framework that will set your team up for success
- Must be willing to work up to one weekend day and keep Eastern Timezone business hours
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. The New York Times Company will provide reasonable accommodations as required by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws, and will consider qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable “Fair Chance” laws.
- Drive operational performance across multiple Care channels, providing an effortless customer experience to a wide variety of subscribers with a team of highly specialized agents
- Be the last point of contact for escalated customers; work with partner teams to resolve customer complaints and provide updates to important partners
- Mentor and develop your team through constructive and targeted 1:1 coaching and nurture an environment where they can excel through encouragement and empowerment; provide on-going support that paves the way for career growth
- Use data and analytics to improve existing team processes and drive operational efficiencies on the team
- Translate insights from your team and customers into actionable items that will result in measurable improvements to the overall business
- Design and implement KPIs to maximize productivity and efficiency in support of an effortless customer experience
Whether it’s bringing new truths to light through reporting, optimizing products and formats to deliver a world-class digital and app experience, or analyzing data to better understand how we can best serve our readers, Times employees are part of a growing, unified team that is driven to build the best destination for journalism in the world.
That’s always been the case, but it is especially so today. In a time of uncertainty we’ve provided information and guidance to help readers navigate daily life — whether it’s understanding health risks or getting advice on staying sane and productive at home. This would not be possible without our journalists, data scientists, marketers, designers, engineers, project managers and many, many more.
Home to world-class talent
To create journalism and supporting products that stand apart, we must recruit the finest talent in the world. Journalists, data designers, videographers, agile marketers, art directors, and many others, we’re looking for people at all stages of their careers to bring different perspectives and practices to our teams. Together, we can make our journalism more insightful, meaningful and essential to the daily lives and understanding of people around the world.
If you see a job opening here that might be a good fit for you, we encourage you to apply. We offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision plans for employees and their families, health and wellness programs, a 401(k) plan, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation, paid parental leave and much more.
If you are an active employee at The New York Times or any affiliates, please do not apply here. Go to the Career Worklet on your Workday home page and View “Find Internal Jobs”. Thank you!
|Other Benefits:||Health Insurance, Retirement Planning, Paid Vacation, Parental Leave, Education Assistance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance|