Employee Relations Manager
locations Greenville, SC
time type Full time
job requisition id R130090
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours Mercy Health!
The Manager of Associate/Employee Relations provides advice and consultation to support Bon Secours Mercy Health positive associate relations strategy, including but not limited to: investigation of associate open door concerns, consultation with cross functional partners to bring resolution to associates’ questions/concerns in a timely manner, interpretation of company policies for management, assisting management to address associate performance issues, counseling management regarding their responsibilities, supporting compliance efforts and coaching on changes in relevant laws/regulations, interpreting and applying relevant collective bargaining agreement provisions in union environments.
*Please note this is a remote position, but will require some occasional on-site visits. Candidates must be located in the Greenville, SC Market*
Essential Job Functions
- Assumes lead investigative role as part of the Associate Relations Center of Excellence when issues are: Complex and/or High-Level Risk
- Investigates issues by establishing investigation plan, assembling all relevant facts, interviewing case critical witnesses, reviewing similar cases, using knowledge, judgment and experience to determine course of action.
- Handles complex and emotionally charged issues with composure by addressing the situation objectively, remaining unbiased.
- Interprets and applies applicable labor and employment laws, regulations and standards at the federal and state level, in consultation with the legal department.
- Identifies risk and potential company liability in case fact patterns and uses sound judgment in obtaining legal counsel when warranted.
- Responsible for disciplinary action and/or termination disputes through the grievance procedure and/or disputes through Ministry policy administration.
- Assist managers with diagnosing and resolving issues through proper questioning and risk assessment and the application of HR knowledge, including relevant policies, procedures, collective bargaining agreements and applicable law, to provide consultation that reduces the risk to the Ministry and builds a positive work environment for the associates.
- Collaborate with multiple stakeholders with differing points of view while maintaining confidentiality of complex and highly sensitive subject matter.
- Make recommendations for policy changes or enhancements based on experience with prior situations; identify unproductive internal processes and recommend improvements.
- Prepare thorough and detailed response with necessary exhibits to EEOC or state based equal employment opportunity commission
- Assist with execution of labor relations functions, including, but not limited to, participation in grievance responses, arbitration and collective bargaining processes and labor-management meetings, as appropriate.
Required Minimum Education:
4 year/ Bachelors Degree
Graduate Degree (Masters)
Licensure/Certification Preferred: SPHR
Minimum Years and Type of Experience: +5
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Excellent customer service, communications and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent listening skills and ability to probe based upon responses provided.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to organize and present information in a clear and concise way.
- Ability to build rapport and communicate challenging information effectively.
- Skilled at interviewing employees, witnesses and supervisors to gather relevant case information, preparing detailed documentation and maintaining files in preparation for potential future claims.
- Reasoning ability that includes strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills required.
- Ability to maintain highly confidential information.
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality.
- Knowledge of Federal and State Employment Law.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
5+ years’ experience in Employee and Labor Relations; or related field 3+ years of related Human Resources experience; or proven record of business management experience
Bon Secours Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
Many of our opportunities reward* your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- Employer contributions to retirement savings plan when eligible
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
*Benefits offerings vary according to employment status
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40
Days (United States of America)
SS Human Resources – Diversity & Inclusion
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email [email protected] If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected].