At Mighty Networks we believe in the power of communities to shape and transform people and to provide connection, purpose, and fun. You’ll use the tools of design to empower our customers to successfully run and participate in meaningful, engaging, and transforming community experiences.
We are strong believers that design matters and goes far beyond the visual. A beautiful looking product can also be useful, functional, and understandable if you pay attention to the people who use it and learn from them. Our customer-centered approach is behind everything we do. If you want to help shape our design team and operations, work on interesting and challenging problems, and have a sizable influence, then look no further.
We’re looking for our next Design Director to join a talented, and quickly growing, team of 5. This is a full-time fully remote role that needs to adjust to Pacific time zone working hours. You’ll be helping lead and grow a highly productive design team where we strive for world-class design excellence in a collaborative, supportive environment. Most projects are owned by small groups of a few people across multiple disciplines and you’ll have oversight across multiple projects at once reporting directly to the SVP of Product.
What you’ll be doing:
- Hiring, Coaching, and Mentoring. You’ll join our current Design Director to co-manage the design team as well as assist in hiring additional designers in 2021 that will directly report to you. You’ll regularly review designs and give feedback, both in 1:1s and in any other meetings you find useful, to help shape and guide clear design thinking with the intent of developing independent, capable designers producing the best work of their careers.
- Design Operations. Help shape our team culture and internal processes. Define meetings, critiques, reviews, etc. to establish how the design team works together and with the whole organization to produce the highest quality, most consistent design possible.
- Strategic Support. Help the team better understand and internalize product strategy, considering frameworks and tools to help them think deeply about the purpose and reason for design decisions, willing at times to assist in helping shape direction without micro-managing their work, and finally find ways to translate that design and strategy out to the broader organization.
- Contributing Design. You’ll spend some time as an individual contributor on selected projects as they require special attention or expertise. This will always be in an assisting role to the directly responsible designer.
We’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 2+ years experience managing people.
- Experience collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team of design and engineering.
- High level technical understanding of the limits and constraints of iterative web and mobile software development.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to recognize, advocate for, and sequence design that meets key business requirements while never sacrificing an excellent customer experience.
- An ability to meet critical personal and team deadlines while managing competing priorities.
- Proficient with at least a few of our favorite industry standard design tools. (e.g. Figma, Photoshop, Keynote, After Effects, Sketch)
- An ability to see the big picture while maintaining an obsession with subtle details.
- Expert problem solver that is not afraid of big challenges, taking risks, and changing up the status quo to find the perfect solution.
- Someone who shows excellence in their work and integrity in their interactions with others.