Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up, re-imagining, and improving every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of amazing, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets–spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
And now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why:
- It’s working. We’re now in six states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well backed & stable. We just closed our $40 M Series B fundraise and have years of cash runway in the bank. We’re backed by some of the top investors in the world–including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
If you’d like to understand more about Openly’s mission, consider checking out this video from a company pitch we gave several years ago at Techstars. It’s outdated (before the initial product launch!) but still telegraphs the journey we’re on
We are seeking an experienced Research Actuary to design and lead a data-science powered actuarial function. You will leverage the latest technologies to automate and lead our profitability and pricing management function. Reporting to the Senior Director of Research, this highly visible role offers the opportunity to work closely with leaders across the organization to quickly mobilize solutions. This role requires a self-motivated, high-energy individual who can easily function in a fast-paced, performance-driven environment. Your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Drive state expansion by developing rating models, developing other customer-facing models, and supporting DOI inquiries
- Develop product analytics capabilities to enrich understanding of Product Profitability and Customer Behavior. Operationalize insights.
- Produce formal actuarial deliverables as needed (rate indications, amendments to rating plan, reinsurance analysis, etc.)
- Ensure Product and Operations organizations share an aligned, cohesive, and data-driven perspective of business performance
- Partner with Reporting to efficiently and effectively communicate relevant metrics and insights across the organization
- Continuously test and adopt newly available tools/capabilities to improve the scale and rigor of our actuarial capabilities
- 5+ years of experience in insurance analytics and modeling with significant experience in personal lines insurance pricing
- ACAS/FCAS in good standing with the CAS
- Advanced SQL skills
- Python familiarity and interest to learn
- Ability to identify and define complex business problems and develop relevant analytical frameworks to deliver solutions, often operating in ambiguity and leveraging creativity
- Strong communication and project management skills, and the ability to collaborate effectively with people at all levels across the company
- Strong decision-making skills
- Homeowners insurance experience is a plus
- Competitive salary, equity position in a start-up company
- Generous medical, dental, vision insurance plans, 401k plus match, FSA benefits
- Generous and fully company-paid parental leave policy
- “Work-from-anywhere” company that has fully embraced remote working, even prior to COVID restrictions
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.